[Aspeed, v1 1/1] net: ftgmac100: Change the order of getting MAC address

Hongwei Zhang hongweiz at ami.com
Tue Jan 5 04:28:07 AEDT 2021

Thanks for your review, Heiner,

I am working on a platform and want to use the method you said, reading from DTS
is easy, but overwrite the MAC in DTS with chip MAC address, it will change the
checksum of the image. Would you please provide an implementation example?

Thanks!

> > Do we need to worry about, the chip contains random junk, which passes
> > the validitiy test? Before this patch the value from DT would be used,
> > and the random junk is ignored. Is this change possibly going to cause
> > a regression?

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your review. Yes, yours is a good point, as my change relies on
the driver's ability to read correct MAC from the chip, or the check of
is_valid_ether_addr(), which only checking for zeros and multicasting MAC.
On the other hand, your concern is still true if no MAC is defined in DTS
file.

Thanks!

> Hongwei, please address Andrew's questions.
>
> Once the discussion is over please repost the patches as
> git-format-patch would generate them. The patch 2/2 of this
> series is not really a patch, which confuses all patch handling
> systems.
>
> It also appears that 35c54922dc97 ("ARM: dts: tacoma: Add reserved
> memory for ramoops") does not exist upstream.

Hi Jakub,

Thanks for your review; I am quite new to the contribution process. I will resubmit my
patch with the SHA value issue fixed. Please see my response at above.

--Hongwei

--
2.17.1