ANSI Escape sequence unexpected output

Jeremy Kerr jk at ozlabs.org
Thu Feb 18 20:30:18 AEDT 2021

Hi David,

>     when I use the host console via uart to log in to os, sometimes
> some unexpected output is print to stdout, such as:
>
> login: root
> Password:
> Last Login:  Thu   Jan   7  06:52:18  UTC  2021  on ttyS0
> root at intel-corei7-64:~#  ;153R     <-------  This is the unexpected
> output

It looks like you're only receiving part of the full ANSI escape
sequence there (I assume this escape sequence is coming from host
during the initial shell setup). This may happen if the serial
connection to the host is dropping characters.

Do you also see characters dropped if you output a large amount of data
from the host? Perhaps try a `ls -l /usr/bin` and see if the output
formatting looks OK.

What is the hardware serial connection between the host and the BMC
here? Does it provide hardware flow control?

Regards,

Jeremy