Any convention on putting source codes into openbmc/openbmc repository

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Thu Feb 18 16:23:56 AEDT 2021

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 01:31, Thang Nguyen <thang at os.amperecomputing.com> wrote:

> On 18/02/2021 06:46, Nancy Yuen wrote:
>
> Code should be put into an appropriate repo, and repos created where necessary.  Then referenced in recipes from openbmc/openbmc metalayers.
>
> Thanks Nancy for the feedback. Do we have requirement for this or just a recommendation?

It's a requirement.

OpenBMC uses a project called yocto, which is itself based on
openembedded (OE). OE is a set of build scripts and configuration
files for building a filesystem. The filesystem will contain
applications, such as ipmi daemons, web servers, sensor monitoring
code, etc. The source code for those applications comes from the
application's repository. For example, our ssh server (dropbear) comes
from dropbear's website.

For applications that are developed exclusively for openbmc, we host
their source code as part of the openbmc organisation on github. But
the source code lives outside of the main yocto-derived repository,
and is checked out at build time.

If you have application code that you wish to be part of your system,
you should first see if it makes sense to contribute that code to an
existing repository. If it is unique, or deserves it's own repository,
then you can mail the list to request the creation of a new repository
for your code.

Apologies if I've covered something you already understood. Once
you've been around the project for a while it becomes second nature,
but it was hard to describe the concepts from scratch!

Cheers,

Joel