Design for in-kernel MCTP in openbmc/docs review

Jeremy Kerr jk at codeconstruct.com.au
Thu Feb 11 20:27:10 AEDT 2021

Hi OpenBMCers,

I've just pushed a changeset for an in-kernel MCTP implementation for
public review on gerrit:

  https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/40514/1

We've had the intention of implementing a kernel-based MCTP stack for a
while - indeed, the current libmctp/userspace approach is intended to
be reasonably compatible with a future sockets-based interface, which
is what we're proposing here. This design provides the outline for
that, and specifies the base components of the upcoming kernel changes.

The aim here is to shape the general structure of the MCTP
implementation to our primary consumers: OpenBMC. Given this is a
kernel implementation, I'll carry this design (plus code) forward to
the kernel community for upstream review too.

This work - including future changes for the implementation - is made
possible through funding from Google Inc., with Nancy Yuen (of OpenBMC
TSC fame) coordinating.

Comments, feedback and queries on the design would be best submitted
through gerrit, but I'm happy to take any general queries/comments here
too.

Happy MCTPing!

Cheers,

Jeremy