Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday February 3 - results

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Thu Feb 4 07:24:02 AEDT 2021

On 2/2/21 10:51 AM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> This is a reminder of the OpenBMC Security Working Group meeting
> scheduled for this Wednesday February 3 at 10:00am PDT.
>
> We'll discuss the following items on the agenda
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b7x9BaxsfcukQDqbvZsU2ehMq4xoJRQvLxxsDUWmAOI/edit>,
> and anything else that comes up:
>
> 1. Continue to discuss APIs to disable HTTPS
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/39006
> <https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/39006>

Is there a use case to allow users to disable the interface they are
currently using?  For example, a Redfish user might disable IPMI and
SSH, but why would they disable HTTPS?

Agreed: Redfish should not be allowed to disable HTTPS.  IPMI should not
be allowed to disable IPMI in a way that it could not be used to
re-enable itself.

We also mentioned MCTP channels.

What {does|should} happen to login sessions {ipmi|https} when an
interface is disabled?  They get logged off.  The ports get “cut” and
the services get disabled.

We discussed a race condition such that HTTPS disables IPMI at the same
time IPMI disabled HTTPS.  Both might become disabled, resulting in no
usable interfaces.  The consensus was this problem is not worth solving
at this time.

> 2. Review Linux-PAM changes
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/openbmc/+/40102
> <https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/openbmc/+/40102> and
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-user-manager/+/39853
> <https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-user-manager/+/39853>

Joseph described the effort to replace deprecated and removed PAM
modules.  These modules were used by OpenBMC and their configuration
arguments were modified by Redfish APIs (details are in the reviews).

> 3. Discuss plans for IBM Enterprise system “service” login support.
> 3a. Implement restricted roles and restricted privileges per Redfish
> spec DSP0266 1.12.0 aka 2020.4
> https://www.dmtf.org/sites/default/files/standards/documents/DSP0266_1.12.0.pdf
> <https://www.dmtf.org/sites/default/files/standards/documents/DSP0266_1.12.0.pdf>
>
> 3b. Story here: https://github.com/ibm-openbmc/dev/issues/1756
> <https://github.com/ibm-openbmc/dev/issues/1756>
> 3c. Need a special REST API to require variable privileges:
> https://github.com/ibm-openbmc/dev/issues/2875
> <https://github.com/ibm-openbmc/dev/issues/2875>

Joseph introduced the Redfish spec changes (DSP0266 referenced above).

We talked about aspects of the Access Control File (ACF) design

The ACF design is similar to mutual TLS (mTLS) which is already
implemented in OpenBMC.  Can we build on top of the mTLS design?

What are the similarities between IBM’s & Intel’s approach?

> 4. Need help for
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/39756
> <https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/39756> ?
Need reviews.

> 5. (Discord > OpenBMC > #yocto 2021-02-02) Security concerns using a
> sstate cache.

[Copied from Joseph’s Discord post]: I think yocto security agrees that
you should trust a shared sstate cache that someone else built only if
you trust that other party. (Reference
email:https://lists.yoctoproject.org/g/yocto-security/message/264
<https://lists.yoctoproject.org/g/yocto-security/message/264>). For
someone to use the OpenBMC project-level sstate cache, they would have
to trust whoever has write access to that cache (such as: the host
system, the host system admin, and the CI build process -- in other
words, the geissonator). With this outlook, it seems okay to me to have
a shared sstate cache.

DISCUSSION: General agreement that this is okay, with the understanding
that individual companies may decline to use this cache.

Bonus topic 6:

6 There is interest in using yocto reproducible builds
<https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Reproducible_Builds>-