[RFC Patch v3 0/3] I2C statistics as sysfs attributes

Sui Chen suichen at google.com
Wed Dec 22 04:43:41 AEDT 2021

Add I2C statistics (transaction, bus error and NACK counts) as sysfs
attributes for a stable and unified API.

The motivation is monitoring large numbers of BMCs at scale.
Monitoring will be done using OpenBMC, which includes a Redfish
implementation (bmcweb) and runs on different SoCs.

OpenBMC has distribution-wide DBus C++ bindings, for which I2C
statistics will be added. For the Redfish schemas, the upcoming
Release 2021.4 will include I2C statistics too.

Since both OpenBMC and Redfish have/will have committed to stable
APIs for monitoring I2C statistics, we would like to learn the
kernel community's opinion on stable kernel APIs for I2C counters.

A more detailed explanation could be found in [1].

This version (v3) fixes format errors, potential unchecked memory
allocation, and fixes a build problem found by the Kernel Test Robot.

Thanks!

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAJOps0u=seskB-YGvLBsHantJohkEX7do-mt7YSZ6zChQMQxbg@mail.gmail.com/

Sui Chen (2):
  i2c debug counters as sysfs attributes
  add npcm7xx debug counters as sysfs attributes

Tali Perry (1):
  i2c: npcm7xx: add tx_complete counter

 drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-npcm7xx.c |  13 ++++
 drivers/i2c/i2c-core-base.c      |  23 ++++++
 drivers/i2c/i2c-dev.c            | 124 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 include/linux/i2c.h              |  28 +++++++
 4 files changed, 188 insertions(+)

--
2.34.1.307.g9b7440fafd-goog