Introducing PECI support in Qemu

Winiarska, Iwona iwona.winiarska at intel.com
Fri Dec 17 04:06:33 AEDT 2021

On Thu, 2021-12-16 at 08:03 -0800, Patrick Venture wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> My team has a working PECI bus/device in Qemu, but we only have internal board
> specifications that enable it.  We'd like to upstream it as soon as possible,
> but obviously we can't enable testing for it without an upstream board that uses
> it.  We only have it attached to Nuvoton 7xx presently, but are slated to enable
> it for the Aspeed series in the next quarter.
>
> Does anyone have an upstream Nuvoton 7xx series BMC board that has PECI enabled
> in the DTS, where we can enable it to their qemu board to enable the upstream
> testing? (think: qtest).

If you mean Linux kernel or OpenBMC, I don't think any upstream BMC board has
PECI enabled.

In case of Linux, PECI subsystem patches with Aspeed support are still under
review:
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20211123140706.2945700-1-iwona.winiarska@intel.com/
(Couple of days ago, Tomer Maimon sent patches that added PECI support for
Nuvoton and were tested on NPCM750 and NPCM845 BMC:
https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2021-December/028602.html)
When it comes to OpenBMC upstream, PECI support was dropped some time ago and,
as far as I know, OpenBMC project won't pull it until it is merged into Linux
upstream.

-Iwona