ASPEED EHCI error: "controller refused to start: -110"

Tao Ren rentao.bupt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 16:23:49 AEST 2021

Hi,

I started to see below EHCI probe failure on my AST2500 and AST2600 BMC
platforms since commit 280a9045bb18 ("ehci: fix EHCI host controller
initialization sequence"):

> ehci-platform 1e6a3000.usb: USB 2.0, controller refused to start: -110

The error happens because USBSTS.HCHalted stays at 1. But if I ignore the
error at probe time, the downstream USB devices can still be enumerated
without problems (even though USBSTS.HCHalted is still 1).

My questions are: why USBSTS.HCHalted stays at 1 on ASPEED platforms? Do
we need extra configuration at EHCI probe time for ASPEED SoC?

CC Ryan @ASPEED for more comments.

Cheers,

Tao