Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday September 18 - results

Jeremy Kerr jk at ozlabs.org
Thu Aug 19 10:49:11 AEST 2021

Hi Joseph,

> 5 How to add session timeouts to host console?
>
> DISCUSSION:
>
> See the diagram in the README under
> https://github.com/openbmc/obmc-console
> <https://github.com/openbmc/obmc-console>.
>
> We thought obmc-console-client was the right place to implement the
> timeout mechanism.

OK, but that diagram doesn't really cover the detail you'd need to base
such a decision on; there's the ssh server between port 2222 and the
obmc-console-client program.

[obmc-console-client is just a *really* simple bridge between stdio and
a unix domain socket. It doesn't own the network socket, nor do any
authentication or authorisation]

We can definitely do an optional timeout in obmc-console-client, but I
want to make sure that's really what you want first.

Cheers,

Jeremy