Installing Windows Server 2019 from a remotely mounted ISO

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 23:37:07 AEST 2021

Hi Konstantin,

On Tue, Aug 03, 2021 at 04:26:52PM +0300, Konstantin Klubnichkin wrote:
> It's about Option 2 (preparing image on Linux).
> The sequence in the instruction is:
> 1. Create empty image using dd;
> 2. Create partition table on it with FAT32 partition;
> 3. Format image to FAT32 filesystem;
> 4. Prepare files from Windows DVD;
> 5. Mount image to some directory;
> 6. Copy files to that directory;
> 7. Unmount image.
>
> I can't get why to create partition table on the image(step 2) if the next step
> (formatting image with mkfs.vfat, step 3) destroys it?

Looks like a typo, s/image/partition/.

That said, booting windows installer shouldn't be anything special
with UEFI, basically you create GPT, EFI System partition on it, put
the windows EFI loader there with the right name plus some files it
needs, and then copy everything else to NTFS partition.

This should explain it with enough details:

https://techbit.ca/2019/02/creating-a-bootable-windows-10-uefi-usb-drive-using-linux/

HTH
mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com