Request new repo for IBM-specific code

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Fri Apr 30 10:47:53 AEST 2021

On 4/29/21 4:24 PM, Ed Tanous wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 2:10 PM Joseph Reynolds <jrey at linux.ibm.com> wrote:

>>> My two concerns about hosting a repository for this are:
>>>      1. Is it actually a secure method?
>>>      2. Is it [potentially] useful to anyone else?
>>>
>>> WRT, #1, I think we need more details to make an assessment.
>>>
>>> For #2 I think there is some unsettled debate around "what do we do
>>> about code that is only ever going to be useful to one company"?
>>> Opening up the tools would at least make it possible that someone else
>>> could find this useful.  I think the proposed "Repository Review Board"
>>> might work on better guidance otherwise.
>>>
>>> Beyond that, I just have the normal "is this the right way to be doing
>>> this" questions.  You've answered that somewhat with the Certs.  I may
>>> disagree with it, but you obviously know your support team better than I
>>> do.
>>>
>>> I recommended some SSH support for certificates before.  Based on your
>>> ask for password-based authentiation, I would suggest looking into
>>> pam_2fa[1] as a potential implementation as well.
>> ...snip...
>>
>> Let's restart this thread from where we left off.
...snip

>> So ... does the GitHub OpenBMC organization host vendor specific repos
>> (perhaps github.com/openbmc/ibm-misc), or does the source code go
>> somewhere else (such as IBM's public fork in
>> github.com/ibm-openbmc/pam-ibm-acf)?
> FYI, both of these return 404.  I'm assuming the permissions don't
> make them public yet.

I provided those URLs as concrete suggestions for where to host
vendor-specific code.  They do not exist.  Sorry about the confusion.
It is late in the day....:)
I have a weak preference to host ibm-specific code on
github.com/openbmc/meta-ibm (maybe in subdirectory pam-ibmacf).  I
realize this will set a precedent for the OpenBMC project, and can work
either way.

-Joseph