OpenBMC on RCS platforms - remote media

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Thu Apr 29 07:24:59 AEST 2021

On 4/28/21 3:21 PM, Timothy Pearson wrote:

> [...]

...snip...

>>> I just need to launch a GUI tool with host administrative privileges,
>>> select the upgrade file, and queue an upgrade to happen when I reboot
>>> the machine.  I queue the update, start the reboot, and stick around
>>> to see the upgrade progress on the screen while it's booting back up.
>>> Because I can see the status on the screen, I know what is happening
>>> and don't pull the power plug due to only seeing a black screen and
>>> power LED for 10 minutes.  Finally, the machine loads the OS and I
>>> verify the new control widget is working properly.
>> If the gui is on the host, with todays stock phosphor-initfs, you need
>> 1) a connection from the host to the bmc
>>    ethernet, serial, usb ethernet etc
>>    (to copy files from host to BMC RAM and to monitor command output)
> Precisely.  USB would be an interesting control channel, but I don't think OpenBMC currently supports this kind of access?

If (if) I am following correctly, you want the OpenBMC virtual media
(aka remote media) implementation?
https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/designs/virtual-media.md

Is there an implementation?  I didn't find one listed here:
https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/features.md

- Joseph