entity-manager FruDevice & eeprom questions

Srinivasan, Usha usha.srinivasan at cornelisnetworks.com
Thu Apr 15 07:03:22 AEST 2021

Hello.
This is my first-time using entity-manager for inventory & the ability to create one binary image with different json files for different platform configurations.

But, first, I am trying to initialize the eeprom on my development board and have it picked up by FruDevice.

  1.  I defined the eeprom in my dts file but as 24lc128 so at24 driver didn't pick it up but that allowed me to use i2ctransfer to initialize the eeprom contents.
  2.  I initialized the eeprom contents following the layout in this doc:
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/platform-management-fru-document-rev-1-2-feb-2013.pdf
  3.  I fixed the dts file to define the eeprom using generic "24c128" and now at24 is picking it up and I see:
ls /sys/bus/i2c/devices/8-0051/
8-00510    eeprom     name       subsystem
driver     modalias   of_node    uevent

cat /sys/bus/i2c/devices/8-0051/name

24c128

  1.  But I also see this:
ls /sys/bus/i2c/devices/8-0051/8-00510/
nvmem      of_node    subsystem  type       uevent
  2.  In the json file for entity manager I have:

        {

            "Address": "0x51",

            "Bus": 8,

            "Name": "CN FRU EEPROM",

            "Type": "EEPROM"

        },

  1.  But, FruDevice fails looking for "/etc/fru/baseboard.fru.bin".
Questions:

  1.  Can someone who has used entity-manager & FruDevice explain the reading/processing of the contents of the eeprom & the of "/etc/fru/baseboard.fru.bin" or in other words, what am I doing wrong that FruDevice won't get off the ground?
  2.  Is there a recommended method for how to initialize the eeprom in manufacturing?
  3.  Has someone developed a script or an application which given the important pieces of info(see pdf above) formats the contents of the eeprom?
  4.  In general, does one define the eeprom in the dts as well as in the entity-manager json?

Thanks,
Usha

Usha Srinivasan
Embedded Software Engineer