about bmcweb logservice schema

Alan Kuo (郭振維) Alan_Kuo at quantatw.com
Fri Apr 9 10:28:38 AEST 2021

Change title.

From: Nan Zhou <nanzhou at google.com>
Sent: Friday, April 9, 2021 1:11 AM
To: Ed Tanous <ed at tanous.net>
Cc: Alan Kuo (郭振維) <Alan_Kuo at quantatw.com>; openbmc at lists.ozlabs.org; edtanous at google.com
Subject: RE: about bmcweb logservice schema

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your reply.

Alan and I were talking about what attribute we should use for "the time that an event occurred", "Created" or "EventTimestamp". Both attributes in the Redfish schema are optional, my understanding after reading the description was that "Created" is when the LogEntry gets created in the LogEntryCollection in the web server (BmcWeb); IIUC, in BmcWeb, new Log Entries are not created until they get queried; "EventTimestamp" on the other hand is when an event originally occurred.

The context is that we are implementing both the PULL model and PUSH model of Redfish POST codes and Host Serial Logs, and we care about when events occurred in both models.  In the PUSH model, the web server will send an array of "Event", in which there is an "EventTimestamp" attribute that we can use for each event. In the PULL model, we will query the LogEntryCollection in LogService, and currently, there is only "Created" but not "EventTimestamp" in BmcWeb. So we are sending this email to ask for comments.

> We think that using “EventTimestamp” will be more suitable than “Created” in LogServices.
Why?  Can you give more details here on what you're trying to accomplish?
We are talking about the following three options,

1. change all the current "Created" attributes in BmcWeb LogService to "EventTimestamp"
2. keep "Created" as is; add a new attribute "EventTimestamp"
3. keep everything as is; use "Created" to represent "the time that an event occurred"

We are fine with either of the three options. The email is to ask the upstream and look for opinions from people.

Thanks,
Nan

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 9:36 AM Ed Tanous <ed at tanous.net<mailto:ed at tanous.net>> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 7:01 AM Alan Kuo (郭振維) <Alan_Kuo at quantatw.com<mailto:Alan_Kuo at quantatw.com>> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> In the current implementation of bmcweb LogServices, the time of the "Created" property is the time when the event is generated, which does not match the description of the redfish schema. The "Created" property means the date and time when the log entry was created.

It should be noted, Created has been present since 1.0.0 of LogEntry,
EventTimestamp was added in LogEntry v1.1.0.  Based on the
descriptions, it's not clear to me what the intended difference is,
seeing as how they're both of type Edm.DateTimeOffset.  Based on the
description, the two would be identical on an OpenBMC system, the
LogEntry is "Created" at the same time it occurs.

> We think that using “EventTimestamp” will be more suitable than “Created” in LogServices.

Why?  Can you give more details here on what you're trying to accomplish?

> Could you give me some suggestion ? Or am I misunderstanding the definition of schema?

This is probably a better question for the Redfish forum, unless
there's documentation on what the intended difference between those
two parameters are.