how to add a new user using ipmitool

sandeep sharma sandeepajesh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 03:08:50 AEST 2021

Thanks Tom,

I tried to execute these commands but no success. Looks like I am missing
something related to IPMI functionality .
To debug it further I added ipmitool into openBMC build and tried to
execute IPMI commands from the openbmc shell. But except for 0x6 0x1, 0x06
0x2 & 0x6 0x03 other commands are not working. Debug logs below. Any inputs
are much appreciated.
.

*root at cn81xx-obmc:~# systemctl | grep -i "ipmi"
phosphor-ipmi-host.service
                                            loaded active     running
  Phosphor Inband IPMI

phosphor-ipmi-kcs at ipmi-kcs3.service
                                           loaded active     running
  Phosphor IPMI KCS DBus Bridge
                                        phosphor-ipmi-net at eth0.service

        loaded active     running         Network IPMI daemon

    xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI.service
                                                loaded active     running
      IPMI SEL Logging Service

system-phosphor\x2dipmi\x2dkcs.slice
                                            loaded active     active
   system-phosphor\x2dipmi\x2dkcs.slice

system-phosphor\x2dipmi\x2dnet.slice
                                         phosphor-ipmi-net at eth0.socket

         loaded active     running         phosphor-ipmi-net at eth0.socket

    root at cn81xx-obmc:~# root at cn81xx-obmc:~# ipmitool raw 0x6 0x1 00 00 80
00 02 00 f7 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00root at cn81xx-obmc:~# ipmitool raw 0x6
0x25       Unable to send RAW command (channel=0x0 netfn=0x6 lun=0x0
cmd=0x25 rsp=0xff): Unspecified errorroot at cn81xx-obmc:~# ipmitool raw 0x6
0x25 -vvvvvLoading IANA PEN Registry...  Allocating     29 entries  [
 27] 16777214 | A Debug Assisting Company, Ltd.  [    26]    52538 | Ampere
Computing  [    25]    51974 | Raptor Computing Systems, LLC  [    24]
 49769 | YADRO  [    23]    49150 | Vertiv Co  [    22]    48512 | Inspur
Group Co.,Ltd.  [    21]    48482 | Linaro Ltd  [    20]    45065 | Insyde
[    19]    40981 | Facebook, Inc.  [    18]    40092 | Wiwynn Corporation
[    17]    33049 | Mellanox Technologies LTD  [    16]    20974 | American
Megatrends, Inc  [    15]    19046 | Lenovo Enterprise Business Group  [
 14]    11183 | Mitac International Corp.  [    13]    11129 | Google,
Inc.  [    12]     8554 | Departement Elektrotechnik, ETH Zuerich  [    11]
    7244 | Quanta Computer Inc.  [    10]     6569 | INVENTEC CORPORATION
[     9]     4128 | ARM Ltd.  [     8]     2487 | Phoenix Technologies
Ltd.  [     7]     1694 | HCL Technologies Limited  [     6]     1271 |
Ciena Corporation  [     5]      674 | Dell Inc.  [     4]      343 | Intel
Corporation  [     3]        2 | IBM (https://w3.ibm.com/standards
<https://w3.ibm.com/standards> )  [     2]        0 | Reserved  [     1]
 1048575 | Unspecified  [     0]        0 | UnknownRunning Get PICMG
Properties my_addr 0x20, transit 0, target 0Error response 0xc1 from Get
PICMG PropertiesRunning Get VSO Capabilities my_addr 0x20, transit 0,
target 0Invalid completion code received: Invalid commandAcquire IPMB
addressDiscovered IPMB address 0x0Interface address: my_addr 0x20 transit
0:0 target 0x20:0 ipmb_target 0RAW REQ (channel=0x0 netfn=0x6 lun=0x0
cmd=0x25 data_len=0)Unable to send RAW command (channel=0x0 netfn=0x6
lun=0x0 cmd=0x25 rsp=0xff): Unspecified errorroot at cn81xx-obmc:~#*

*root at cn81xx-obmc:~# ipmitool channel info 1Channel 0x1 info:  Channel
Medium Type   : 802.3 LAN  Channel Protocol Type : IPMB-1.0  Session
Support       : multi-session  Active Session Count  : 0  Protocol Vendor
ID    : 7154  Volatile(active) Settings    Alerting            : enabled
Per-message Auth    : enabled    User Level Auth     : enabled    Access
Mode         : always available  Non-Volatile Settings    Alerting
   : enabled    Per-message Auth    : enabled    User Level Auth     :
enabled    Access Mode         : always availableroot at cn81xx-obmc:~# *

*root at cn81xx-obmc:~# ipmitool user list 1   ID  Name     Callin  Link Auth
IPMI Msg   Channel Priv Limit1   root             false   true       true
    ADMINISTRATOR2                    true    false      false      NO
ACCESS3                    true    false      false      NO ACCESS4
           true    false      false      NO ACCESS5                    true
   false      false      NO ACCESS6                    true    false
 false      NO ACCESS7                    true    false      false      NO
ACCESS8                    true    false      false      NO ACCESS9
           true    false      false      NO ACCESS10                   true
   false      false      NO ACCESS11                   true    false
 false      NO ACCESS12                   true    false      false      NO
ACCESS13                   true    false      false      NO ACCESS14
            true    false      false      NO ACCESS15
true    false      false      NO ACCESSroot at cn81xx-obmc:~# ipmitool user
summary 1Maximum IDs    : 15Enabled User Count  : 1Fixed Name Count    :
0root at cn81xx-obmc:~# *

*root at cn81xx-obmc:~# ipmitool -I dbus user set name 2 newuserSet User Name
command failed (user 2, name newuser): Unspecified
errorroot at cn81xx-obmc:~# *

thx
sandeep S

--