interest in a minimal image recipe

Vijay Khemka vijaykhemka at fb.com
Wed Sep 23 06:40:18 AEST 2020

On 9/21/20, 10:57 AM, "openbmc on behalf of Brad Bishop" <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com at lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com> wrote:

    On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 08:53:26AM -0700, Ed Tanous wrote:
    >On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 5:55 AM Brad Bishop <bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> In what way does EM require intel-ipmi-oem?  I am using EM without
    >> intel-ipmi-oem without (I thought anyway) issue.
    >
    >You're running Entity Manager, without intel-ipmi-oem, and you can run
    >a successful "ipmitool sensor list" or "ipmitool fru print" command,
    >and have it return the entity manager/dbus-sensors/FruDevice results?

    Ah, now I understand.  No, I can't do that.  But I don't need to because
    the default IPMI handler implementations in phosphor-host-ipmid work for
    me (the YAML based ones), and those don't need entity-manager.  I'm
    using entity-manager for other reasons.

    As an aside - I think a majority are using the intel-ipmi-oem handlers
    now so I'd support moving those into phosphor-host-ipmid and using them
    as the defaults.  But that must not be easy, otherwise Intel would have
    just done that rather than forking the handlers in intel-ipmi-oem in the
    first place.
I support moving many standard commands from intel-ipmi-oem to
phosphor-host-ipmid.  Entity manager is required only for fru and
sensor SDR ipmi command but there are many other commands
which are useful and can be moved.

    But in any case, intel-ipmi-oem requires entity-manager, not the other
    way around right?  The "feature" being selected here is the Intel IPMI
    handler forks, and that would simply depend on entity-manager.  A
    strawman:

    obmc-phosphor-image.bbclass:
    FEATURE_PACKAGES_intel-ipmi-handler-forks = "packagegroup-intel-ipmi-handler-forks"

    packagegroup-obmc-apps.bb:
    RDEPENDS_packagegroup-obmc-apps-intel-ipmi-handler-forks = "intel-ipmi-oem"

    intel-ipmi-oem.bb:
    RDEPENDS_${PN} = "entity-manager"

    One prerequisite to this is that the intel-ipmi-oem recipe would need to
    move to meta-phosphor.  Perhaps its time for the repo to be renamed into
    something else.
We may have to split and look for what we need from intel-ipmi-oem. There
are lots of intel oem specific command in this which are not useful for
many other platforms and are overridden by their own xx-ipmi-oem.

We should simply port standard ipmi command from intel-ipmi-oem to
Phosphor-host-ipmid.

    >In my understanding, this shouldn't work, and we've had many reports
    >of "I enabled entity manager, and my sensors don't show up in IPMI".
    I don't think the answer to "how do I enable IPMI sensors" was ever
    "enable entity manager" was it?  To enable IPMI, you have always needed
    to enable either the original YAML based handlers or the intel-ipmi-oem
    forks.

We should fix this in host-ipmid, as all sensors are added to standard dbus
Interface and if it is not discoverable by mapper or object manager then we
should fix it so that an SDR can be built independent of sensor implementation.