Headsup: Alternative to the filesystem overlay

Adriana Kobylak anoo at linux.ibm.com
Tue Sep 22 05:42:49 AEST 2020

On 2020-09-21 09:33, Alexander A. Filippov wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 11:52:54AM +0200, Anton Kachalov wrote:
>> There was a topic year ago:
>>
>> https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2019-August/017611.html
>>
>> Is anyone currently working in this direction? Any thoughts on
>> possible
>> approaches?
>
> As I can see there is no any actions in this direction.

I want to pick up this topic in the next coming months.

> I solved the problem with a difference of the user groups set during
> firmware
> upgrade by installing a systemd service which starts on the first BMC
> boot after
> upgrade and merges groups from RWFS and new ROFS.
>
> This recipe is stored in our internal repo only, but I can share it if
> it is
> interesting to someone.

I'd be interested, if you would share it. Thanks!

> The problems with other files is not met yet.
>

>> We're going to revisit this and discuss possible solutions.

Another alternative I want to explore that is not listed in the original
email is systemd's stateless implementation, where there's no need to
have /etc/ populated to boot. The advantage of that approach is that you
could mount /etc/ to a writable volume like /var/ and have applications
write data to that directory without it being an overlay.