xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value units

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Tue Sep 22 03:33:26 AEST 2020

Hello,

Currently all xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value's have metric units.
There is a proposed commit [1] to add a non-metric unit.  Are there any
opinions on this subject?

In this case the proposal is to add an "airflow" unit, in CFMs (cubit
feet per minute).  An equivalent metric unit would be L/s (liters per
second).  CFM tends to be the standard unit to measure airflow from a
fan, but L/s is used for liquid cooling.

    * Allow CFM for airflow.
        - CFM is the "industry standard" measurement for fans.

    * Require Sensors.Value to use L/s instead.
        - All units will continue to be metric.  Any external interface
          which is expecting a non-metric unit can do the conversion at
          that point.

        - We won't have duplicate Units defined for similar concepts
          (air vs liquid flow in this case).

Thus, it seems like there are two underlying questions to resolve:

    * Do we require only metric unit or do we allow non-metric?
    * Do we allow duplicate unit definitions for the same concept (ex. flow)?

1. https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/+/36573

--
Patrick Williams