Read FRU of host through ipmi in Entity manager.

Kumar Thangavel thangavel.k at hcl.com
Tue Sep 22 02:44:40 AEST 2020

Classification: HCL Internal

Hi All,

            Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

            As suggested, we are planning to implement a new process/service like  xyz.openbmc_project.IPMB.FruDevice in entity manager module to support Host FRU through ipmb rather than using dbus-sensors/ipmbsensors file.

            Following are the advantages, if host FRU handling in entity manager repo.

            1. All the FRU information is handling in the same repo.
            2. Entity manager Probe can work.
            3. All the FRU Functions are in the same repo. We can try to reuse most of the functions.
            4. Adding Fru object to dbus handling are done.
            5. All FRU validations are done here like Format fru, update fru property, validate header, Fru AreaLen and checksum. We can try to reuse those validations.

            For scanning the /dev/ipmi-* nodes, we are thinking to use ipmb-channels.json cofig entries in entity manager repo since this config file has valid slave path and bus address.

            Please share your comments if any.

Thanks,
Kumar.