Proposal to make webui-vue the standard

Ed Tanous ed at tanous.net
Mon Sep 21 06:57:22 AEST 2020

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 9:36 AM Gunnar Mills <gmills at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> From some continued discussion yesterday in the GUI Design Workgroup, we would like to see the community move away from phosphor-webui and for webui-vue to become the standard. All companies on the call were in favor of this but I’ll let them chime in for themselves.
>
> As stated in previous emails there are many benefits to the webui-vue GUI.
> webui-vue adds:
>
> Improved user experience based on feedback from OpenBMC users
> Conformance with the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 specification
> Ability to easily theme to meet brand guidelines
> Dynamically generate navigation
> Language translation-ready
> Full Redfish
> Modern front-end framework with an active community and future development roadmap
>
> The phosphor-webui front-end framework, AngularJS, will sunset in June of 2021. Based on this, the most active contributing companies have moved to webui-vue

According to the OpenBMC github I only see IBM has moved.  Maybe
you're talking about forks?

> resulting in a decrease of development activity on phosphor-webui over the past six months.

Ironically, you sent this out on the same day Vue 3.0 was announced;
It looks like the next 2.X Vue release goes to 18 month support.
Hopefully Vue 2.0->3.0 porting isn't the same thing as Angular 1.X ->
2.X.

> We also believe webui-vue allows us to move forward other areas, for example, turning off exposing the D-Bus interfaces as a REST API. This change would break phosphor-webui. Since webui-vue uses Redfish this is not the case for it. https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/29344
>
> As requested, below is an updated timeline:
>
> With Virtual Media merged, 8 identified issues to reach parity:
> https://github.com/openbmc/webui-vue/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Aphosphor-webui-feature-parity
> IBM plans to work on, with an estimated completion of mid-October:
>
> Two file Firmware upload (#9)

This is important, and having the UI load without errors or warnings
speaks to the quality of the UI as a whole, and also allows finding
regressions much easier.  Looking forward to when this lands.

> Radio button for DHCP - Network settings (#36)
>
> And will work on when the Redfish interfaces for these are implemented:
>
> Remote Logging (#34)
> SNMP (#33)
>
> The last 2 identified issues, we are looking for community help but might take these up ourselves one day:
>
> Mutual TLS (#30)

This is used, and I think important overall for the security posture
of OpenBMC.  I would like to avoid regressing the default security of
OpenBMC in this regard.

> CSRF allow list (#29)

Do you think the person that checked in the code around the security
bug could take a look at it?  It looks like Derick wrote the commit
that needs fixed.
https://github.com/openbmc/webui-vue/commit/e080a1a7593e83a49d623ffdd452fd0e1c617889#diff-d33bbe646af7d8d45caaeb27b20b4813

> The last issue, Next URL forward (#28) has a review up.  Thanks Mateusz!

The current iterations of this patchset regresses security and
functionality in regards to phosphor-webui.  Once it's up to par, it
seems like a great addition.

> Please let us know if we have missed any features needed to reach parity with phosphor-webui.
>
> Would any of these outstanding issues keep the community from accepting webui-vue as the standard?

Known security issues (both bugs and missing features) currently
prevent me from supporting a full changeover, but it sounds like
you're hot on the heels of getting these fixed.  Once all the above
are fixed, I'm in full support of a change of defaults.