Proposal to make webui-vue the standard

Gunnar Mills gmills at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Sep 19 02:31:01 AEST 2020

Hi All,

>From some continued discussion yesterday in the GUI Design Workgroup, we
would like to see the community move away from phosphor-webuiand for
webui-vueto become the standard. All companies on the call were in favor
of this but I’ll let them chime in for themselves.

As stated in previous emails there are many benefits to the webui-vueGUI.
webui-vueadds:

  * Improved user experience based on feedback from OpenBMC users
  * Conformance with the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1
    specification
  * Ability to easily theme to meet brand guidelines
  * Dynamically generate navigation
  * Language translation-ready
  * Full Redfish
  * Modern front-end framework with an active community and future
    development roadmap

The phosphor-webuifront-end framework, AngularJS, will sunset in June of
2021. Based on this, the most active contributing companies have moved
to webui-vueresulting in a decrease of development activity on
phosphor-webuiover the past six months.
We also believe webui-vueallows us to move forward other areas, for
example, turning off exposing the D-Bus interfaces as a REST API. This
change would break phosphor-webui. Since webui-vueuses Redfish this is
not the case for it.
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/29344
<https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/29344>
As requested, below is an updated timeline:
With Virtual Media merged, 8 identified issues to reach parity:
https://github.com/openbmc/webui-vue/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Aphosphor-webui-feature-parity
<https://github.com/openbmc/webui-vue/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Aphosphor-webui-feature-parity>
IBM plans to work on, with an estimated completion of mid-October:

  * Two file Firmware upload (#9)
    (#32)
  * Radio button for DHCP - Network settings (#36)

And will work on when the Redfish interfaces for these are implemented:

  * Remote Logging (#34)
  * SNMP (#33)

The last 2 identified issues, we are looking for community help but
might take these up ourselves one day:

  * Mutual TLS (#30)
  * CSRF allow list (#29)

The last issue, Next URL forward (#28) has a review up.  Thanks Mateusz!

Please let us know if we have missed any features needed to reach parity
with phosphor-webui.

Would any of these outstanding issues keep the community from accepting
webui-vueas the standard?

Not sure officially making webui-vuethe standard means a lot, we plan to
update docs/ links to point at webui-vueandview as the first step
towards eventually deprecating / archiving phosphor-webui.

Is there any objection to this?

Some previous discussion on these topics here:
https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2020-August/022637.html
<https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2020-August/022637.html>
https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2020-February/020491.html
<https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2020-February/020491.html>