Using bios-settings-mgr for setting hypervisor network attributes

Thomaiyar, Richard Marian richard.marian.thomaiyar at linux.intel.com
Fri Sep 18 00:20:59 AEST 2020

Ratan / Manoj,

Hypervisor (VM) Ethernet Interfaces is not a BIOS / Host firmware
settings right?. Is there any model, where the BIOS Settings of Host
Network interface like IPV4 / IPV6 is passed to the OS level (If yes,
through what mechanism, proprietary ?). We have BIOS Network settings,
but mostly that will be used in terms of PXE boot etc., but this will
not be passed to the Host OS/ Hypervisor (which has to manage this on
it's own). Let me know if i am missing anything here. So not sure, why
Hypervisor / OS Ethernet interface must be passed to BIOS Settings
instead of directly communicating to the Hypervisor / OS level software
directly.

For BIOS settings --> Pending v/s configured value, Remote BIOS
configuration design doc
<https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/designs/remote-bios-configuration.md>,
already handles the same using PendingAttributes. This is based on the
AttributeRegistry and as per the design it don't advertise every single
setting in D-Bus, instead it will be collection (dynamic in nature).

For Hypervisor / System Ethernet Interfaces I agree with James F, As
long as bmcweb does the mapper query and / or association to determine
the Service and Object path of the daemon, which will handle the
ComputerSystem (Host) EthernetInterfaces it should be fine as the
mechanism of forwarding the data to the OS will be different based on
implementation.

Regards,

Richard