bmcweb 30 second lockout

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Wed Sep 16 02:14:54 AEST 2020

On 9/14/20 9:55 AM, Ed Tanous wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 2:43 PM Neil Bradley <Neil_Bradley at phoenix.com> wrote:
>> Hi Joseph!
>>
>> Correct: The problem we wish to solve is to stop or make brute force password attacks logistically impossible/useless, but still allow credentialed individuals in.
>>
>> I don't have any particular objection to a short lockout period, provided that lockout period is bound to both the user and the actual TCP connection (assuming a TCP link is maintained during the login process) or perhaps the source IP address.
>>
>> I still think a simple 2-4 second delay (without the 30 second delay) is more than sufficient. For example, let's say there's 96 possible characters and an 8 character password. That's 7,213,895,789,838,336 possibilities. Let's also say there are 8000 incoming TCP connections to the web server - I know, it's kind of absurd, but let's assume a massively coordinated attack. /8000=901,736,973,729. Multiply that by 2 seconds, and you get roughly 57,187 years to exhaust all possibilities. Granted, it's likely the password would be found in a quarter of that time, but that's still 14,296 years. The problem gets lots worse quickly when the password is longer. Even a 4 character password is 84,934,656 possibilities and 8000 incoming connections it'd still take 5.8 hours to exhaust everything, and by then the system would have lots of other problems with that many attempts. Though it also could be successfully argued that anyone using a 4 character password is asking for it.
>
> This type of approach works great in an apache-type server, where we
> have thread per connection, and we can rely on running out of threads
> to slow us down.  For better or worse, bmcweb is an async reactor
> model (a lot like nginx), so while a 2-4 second delay would slow that
> that specific connection, all an attacker would have to do is to spin
> up N connections in parallel to bypass this per-connection limit.

Ed, thanks.  Would the solution above help if BMCWeb also limited the
number of simultaneous connections, for example N=32.  Then the attacker
can guess only 32 password every few seconds.  But what are the
consequences?  During an attack, can a legitimate user compete for one
of these connections?

I am summarizing the results of this email conversation here:
https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/issues/151

- Joseph

> For what it's worth, I think something similar to the fail2ban
> approach would work well here, where after a number of failures, we
> lock out specific IPs for a specific amount of time at the networking
> layer using something like nftables.  Unfortunately, fail2ban is
> python, so that's a non-starter but there's a similar "copy" of it
> here that I've been meaning to play with at some point:
> https://github.com/swillner/regban
> (credit goes to James F for finding it).

For what its worth, I think fail2ban or regban could be part of a solution.

>>> https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/master/meta-phosphor/recipes-e