phosphor-dbus-interfaces transitioning to meson

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Sun Sep 6 03:04:07 AEST 2020

Hello,

I just merged a patchset into phosphor-dbus-interfaces which starts a
transition from autotools to meson.  Right now you can build PDI with
either autotools or meson and it should be equivalent.  With meson, you
should also be able to use PDI as a subproject.  I will begin transitioning
the bitbake recipes to use the meson as well and then after that I will
clean up the autotools support.

There is one change for contributors to PDI because meson does not have
the same capabilities for generating code that our previous autotools
structure allowed.  When an sdbus++ YAML file is added or removed, there
is now an additional step to get that YAML file included into the meson
build process.  Within the `gen` subdirectory is a script
`regenerate-meson` which will identify all the YAML files present and
update the `meson.build` files to include (or remove) the YAML file.

This new process is documented at:
    https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/blob/master/README.md#building

For the next few weeks, I will try to pay closer attention to any new
YAML file in the repository and confirm that the meson.build files have
been updated appropriately.  Please reach out to me if you encounter any
issues.

--
Patrick Williams