When building OpenBMC . . . ?

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Fri Sep 4 01:33:40 AEST 2020

On Wed, Sep 02, 2020 at 07:50:07PM +0000, Patrick Voelker wrote:
> My understanding of PACKAGECONFIG is that it's a way to provide build options for individual packages.  In this case, what PACKAGECONFIG option would we be contributing?

Yes, PACKAGECONFIG is for build options for indivdiual packages.
Similar to FEATURES which affect multiple packages.  In this case we'd
be defining a new package-feature to rsyslog "don't install this file".

Sounds like the `-f` proposed elsewhere in the stream is reasonable.

> Is there a way now for me to force bitbake to ignore (or not use) rsyslog*.bbappend in meta-tiogapass from another layer?

I don't think so.  Layers have priority (order with which they are
applied) but I don't know of any way to mask a bbappend from one layer.

> The two appends that are conflicting are:
> meta-facebook/meta-tiogapass/recipes-extended/rsyslog/rsyslog_%.bbappend
> meta-intel/meta-common/recipes-extended/rsyslog/rsyslog_%.bbappend
>
> Can I choose one over the other instead of having them build upon eachother?

I strongly suggest you don't do this.  meta-facebook and meta-intel
are two different machine metas.  There are going to be conflicts
between them because we've done a poor job of making sure that all the
machine metas uses VARIABLE_machine append syntax everywhere (which
ensures the variable is only applied for a particular machine).  That
isn't to say we shouldn't fix those things, but in the short-term you're
likely to run into a lot of issues.

To step back, what is it you're trying to accomplish by including both
machine metas into a single build?  If there is content in meta-intel
that is not machine specific, the direction seems to be that we should
move this to meta-phosphor.  (Brad started a discussion about this on
the ML about 2 weeks ago.)

--
Patrick Williams