Recent architecture breakages to bmcweb

raviteja bailapudi raviteja28031990 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 22:20:16 AEST 2020

Ed,

Thank you so much for quick response.

>    1) Create StreamSocketRule and StreamSocket classes as like as
> websocket
> >    2) Add one more RuleParameterTraits for StreamSocketTwo ways to
> invoke this new class -
> >     1) Create static bmcweb route for each logservice with dump uri
> with specific rule trait for streamsocket
> >       eg:
> >         BMCWEB_ROUTE(app, "/system/LogServices/Dump/attachment/<str>",id)
> >         .privileges({"ConfigureComponents", "ConfigureManager"})
> >         .streamsocket()
>
> I'd much rather call it "dyamicResponse" and have it take 3 callables,
> one for onRequest, that accepts a Request and a Response object, like
> a normal handler, one for onData, that accepts a buffer of the body
> data, and one for onClose, that informs the calling code the socket
> was closed.

Exactly, we thought to implement 4 callables in new rule class similar to
websocket
   OnOpen(),OnMessage(),OnClose(),OnError() .  We can use names as
suggested.

Dump dump offload happens using NBD protocol, it's like NBD over http.
In this  streaming use-case, data will be bidirectional as there will be
nbd acknowledgement
for each nbd packet transferred to client. so thought to use "StreamSocket"
name.

>     2) Create another redfish node class(as the existing node class is
> for dynamic route)

which would call app.route with the streamSocket trait.Do you have any
> preference here?handleUpgrade() of router class gets invoked in the
> following conditions -
>
> The Redfish Node class is specifically for request->response type
> operations, and in the long run, I'd really like to see it just go
> away.  Today, it doesn't do anything more than the underlying router
> already does, and is missing a number of things, like typesafe
> parameter parsing, as well as copy-less parameters.  If it were me, I
> would simply model your dynamic responses around BMCWEB_ROUTE

>     a)request contains http header(upgrade:websocket)
> >     b)request contains http header (accept: text/event-stream) ---> yet
> to be upstreamedIn our use case for dump stream, we do not need to take
> this decision by looking at the request header as the URL is already
> registered with their associated rule(StreamSocketRule) class.When we
> search in the trie for a specific URL, we will get the associated rule
> class object, which in our case would be StreamSocketRule and the handle
> function of this class should make sure that socket is not closed.
> > Is my understanding correct understanding or do you have more suggestion
> on this?There is an active discussion going on in the following commit for
> the same.
> > https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/36038
>
> I think you've described what bmcweb does today.  In this case, we
> might want to just promote an "isUpgrade" method from the app, that we
> can use to determine if a given route is dynamic or not, and call into
> the correct "handleStream" operator.  Keep in mind that at some point
> you need to transfer control back to httpConnection to handle
> keepalive properly.
>

> Thinking about keepalive more gave me another thought: This isn't
> really an "upgrade" in the normal sense.  What if we just added a
> "write" method to the Response object that immediately wrote the
> payload to the dynamic body and sent it?  write() could return an
> error code in the cases where the client has disconnected, and we
> never have to transfer ownership or knowledge of the socket, and the
> keepalive and end() mechanisms would continue to work like normal.
> HttpConnection would have to get some knowledge about whether this
> request was dynamic or not, but that seems pretty doable, and could
> just be based on the first call to write.  Also, this keeps all the
> keepalive code the same, which I think is good.
>
> That's exactly why we thought to use handle() method, but* there is a gap
how to transfer ownership*
*of socket from connection class to rule class.*

In the existing implementation where we transferred ownership of socket
from connection class to rule class
based on  http header field "upgrade::websocket"

 As I explained above, we need bi-directional communication, where bmc
sends certain payload and nbd on client-side
acknowledges received payload.

So we need websocket way of implementation, where we need to keep reading
and writing constantly on the same socket.

What I am unable to connect is how to transfer ownership of socket
connection to new rule class, as in this case
we can't take the decision based on  request header/content. can you
provide your suggestion  please?

What do you mean by dynamic request and dynamic response?
As per my understanding, dynamic response is based on http request content,
one of the header field "accept"
where client specifies data format and depending on this format,
response gets generated. Is it a dynamic response?
if it's true, how is it applicable here?

Response object writing payload to dynamic body may not work in this case.
Response object does not  hold  socket, only connection class which is
having socket, except handleUpgrade case
where we transfer socket ownership to connection to rule class which
creates another connection

Thanks
-Raviteja