[gbmc-team] Re: /etc/migration.d

Anton Kachalov rnouse at google.com
Fri Oct 23 07:39:12 AEDT 2020

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 21:35, Ed Tanous <edtanous at google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 9:19 AM Anton Kachalov <rnouse at google.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > any objections about distro feature flag to cover root Vs. non-root
> configs & code?
> >

> My only concern is whether or not it's needed.  If a particular daemon
> runs and functions as non-root, is there a reason why anyone would opt
> out of that?  Presumably as an intermediate step we could make it a
> distro flag, but in the long term, ideally, that would just be the
> default.

Sorry, I might not be clear. The flag is required while converting /
testing other platforms (that I've stated as "then iteratively enabled
across other platforms once they are ready"). Once everything is set, we
can just remove the flag and make behaviour default.

> Are there use cases where certain builds need daemons to run as root?

Only a fast way to switch back to root env if something would be broken for
a specific target running unprivileged users.