Security Working Group Meeting - Wed 14 October - request for security bug tracker

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Fri Oct 16 01:22:20 AEDT 2020

On 10/15/20 9:14 AM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> On 10/13/20 2:06 PM, Parth Shukla wrote:
>> This is a reminder of the OpenBMC Security Working Group meeting
>> scheduled for this...
>> This Message Is From an External Sender
>> This message came from outside your organization.
>>
>> This is a reminder of the OpenBMC Security Working Group meeting
>> scheduled for this Wednesday October 14 at 10:00am PDT.
>>
>> We'll discuss the following items on the agenda
>> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b7x9BaxsfcukQDqbvZsU2ehMq4xoJRQvLxxsDUWmAOI/edit>,
>> and anything else that comes up:

...snip...

> Two subtopics were discussed:
>
> 2A. We reviewed the security reporting and bug fixing process.
> Specifically:
>
>  * The OpenBMC security response team:
> https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/security/obmc-security-response-team.md
>
>  * This is what github advocates using:
>    https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/security/advisories
>
>  * What tools do we use to:
>
>     * Identify which open source pkgs are used in an openbmc build,
>
>     * Identify security bugs in those packages, and
>
>     * Ensure that we pull in fixes or otherwise mitigate the problem.
>

> 2B. Given that OpenBMC is a Linux Foundation project, what resources
> does the Linux Foundation offer?  Specifically, we want a private
> secure bug tracker for the OpenBMC security response team to use.

Kurt,

The OpenBMC security response team could benefit from a bug tracker to
track security vulnerabilities that were reported to the project and not
yet disclosed.  This is to support [1] and would have to be private and
secure.
What is commonly used for this?  Can we do it at the project level? Can
LF help?

- Joseph

[1]: