[c++] [hwmon] std::ifstream read file with timeout so long

Anton Kachalov rnouse at google.com
Thu Oct 8 06:02:49 AEDT 2020

Try to strace the process. Either attach strace or modify service file to
run the strace from the beginning.

To attach simply (replace $HWMON_PID with appropriate pid):

# strace -fv -tt -etrace=file -p $HWMON_PID -s 2048 -o /tmp/hwmon.log.$$

You should include "strace" package in the image by either modifying the
build/conf/local.conf and place / append the variable:
======= cut =======
IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " strace"
======= cut =======

Please note the space before the package name. It is required.

To modify service file, simply edit either source file:

https://github.com/openbmc/meta-phosphor/blob/a87fb2d1eb682ed0f04e0f269966b9ae4aafbb1e/recipes-phosphor/sensors/phosphor-hwmon/xyz.openbmc_project.Hwmon%40.service

in your local build tree or edit service file after booting the image using
"vi":

# vi /lib/systemd/system/xyz.openbmc_project.Hwmon\@.service

and change ExecStart param to:
ExecParam=/usr/bin/strace -tt -etrace=file -fv -s 2048 -o /tmp/hwmon.log.$$
/usr/bin/phosphor-hwmon-readd -o %I

Then reload systemd and restart the service:

# systemctl daemon-reload
# systemctl restart xyz.openbmc_project.Hwmon\@.service

And then check the /tmp/hwmon.log.* file.
With the "-tt" option you will get a precise timestamp between each syscall.

If there is nothing suspicious, try to remove the "-etrace=file" option.