Human readable POST code messages

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Thu Oct 1 05:25:39 AEST 2020

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 07:42:47AM -0400, Oskar Senft wrote:
> Hi Brad
>
> I had thought about this before. The main issue I found is that the meaning
> of the POST code messages are highly dependent on the particular platform
> (i.e. BIOS) emitting them, i.e. there's no generic mapping that's always
> correct.
>
> Having said that, given that there are only a limited number of BIOS
> vendors, it might be possible to generate a few lists and make the BIOS
> vendor a config option to select the right mapping.
>
> What's your use case?

I would like to know more about the underlying use-case.  How do you
intend to expose these?  Is this "WithMessage" usable for Redfish and
the WebUI or is it only for internal use by CLI tools?

I think a bigger question is how we handle translation.  I think it is a
bad direction to have individual processes providing "human consumable"
strings because you need to translate them at some point.  We maybe
should look at a message registry design of some sort that can help
facilitate translation.

Putting very little thought behind it, we might want to define some kind
of interface (ex. MessageRegistry) with a method:

    Message(language, interface, property, value) -> string

--
Patrick Williams