Request to create repository google-ipmi-bmc-health

Sui Chen suichen at google.com
Thu Nov 19 10:06:16 AEDT 2020

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 12:48 AM Vijay Khemka
<vijaykhemkalinux at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hello Patrick,
>>
>> Thanks for your understanding for our request to create a new repository.
>>
>> Our team had also met last Friday for a discussion on where the
>> implementation of the blob handler should go, and we also agreed it is
>> preferable to create a new repository compared to putting its
>> implementation in phosphor-health-monitor or phosphor-ipmi-blobs.
>>
>> Now that the IPMI blob handler lives in its own separate repo, it
>> seems to me that the design does not have to be separated right now;
>> the new repo could, for now, hold the monolithic IPMI blob handler
>> where the metric implementation is entirely in the handler.
>

> I completely disagree with this approach of having a platform specific
> implementation, I will still prefer to have a generic design in health monitor
> for metrics collection and blob handler can be in a separate repo.

Thanks for the explanation, we will keep the platform-specific
implementation (blob handler doing everything) down-stream, while
working on the generic design (blob handler only translating DBus
messages to IPMI blob) upstream in the meantime.

I think we can focus on working out how the added metrics should be
made available on DBus in phosphor-health-monitor; this has to be
resolved no matter where the blob handler lives.

Sui