STEPS FOR CHANGING THE DEFAULT SERIAL CONSOLE TO UART2

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Wed Nov 18 01:31:35 AEDT 2020

On 11/16/20 5:29 PM, Andrew Jeffery wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Nov 2020, at 08:12, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
>> On 11/16/20 2:30 PM, Radhika Pradeep wrote:
>>> Hi , We have a BMC board based on the AST2520 with UART2 set as serial...
>>> This Message Is From an External Sender
>>> This message came from outside your organization.
>>>
>>> Hi ,
>>>
>>> We have a BMC board based on the AST2520 with UART2 set as serial
>>> console.We are using the openbmc codebase based on ast2500 with aspeed-g5.
>>>
>>> Since the default uart console is set to uart5 we are not able to get
>>> the serial console output.
>>>
>>> We just got a "mw" command used in uboot to change the register for
>>> UART5 TO IO2 routing which can only be done temporarily.
>>>
>>> Because we have the console connected to UART2 only. So we need to get
>>> the console output at UART2 each time the board boots up.
>>>
>>> Could you please provide us with the information on how to change
>>> routing permanently or the information about  the file which can be
>>> modified to change the register values permanently to get the uart2
>>> console output.?
>>>
>> Did you see UARTs described here?
>> https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/architecture/interface-overview.md
>> Which links to this?  https://github.com/openbmc/obmc-console
>>
> The query is about the BMC console, not the host console, so obmc-console and
> the related documentation is not relevant here.

Thanks for clarifying.  In that case, see
https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/architecture/interface-overview.md#bmc-serial
which unfortunately does not yet have any details.  :-(

Is the BMC's console configured in the machine config file using the
Yocyo/poky SERIAL_CONSOLE or SERIAL_CONSOLES bitbake variable?
For example, here
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/master/meta-aspeed/conf/machine/evb-ast2500.conf

- Joseph