Request to create repository google-ipmi-bmc-health

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Tue Nov 17 12:41:26 AEDT 2020

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 04:00:47PM -0800, Sui Chen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 4:14 AM Patrick Williams <patrick at stwcx.xyz> wrote:
> > Sui,
> >
> > Now that the design has been separated so that the majority of the
> > metric implementation is in p-h-m and the protobuf-ipmi-specific parts
> > just do light-weight dbus operations, it seems reasonable to me to
> > create a new repository to hold that part.  That part seems fairly
> > unique to what Google intends to do and I don't think we should burden
> > the maintainers of another repository with that effort.
>
> Our team had also met last Friday for a discussion on where the
> implementation of the blob handler should go, and we also agreed it is
> preferable to create a new repository compared to putting its
> implementation in phosphor-health-monitor or phosphor-ipmi-blobs.
>
> Now that the IPMI blob handler lives in its own separate repo, it
> seems to me that the design does not have to be separated right now;
> the new repo could, for now, hold the monolithic IPMI blob handler
> where the metric implementation is entirely in the handler.

I don't really agree with going this direction if I understand
correctly.  We started this discussion because people felt there were
bits that were useful to others in a more generic repository and bits
that were only useful to Google.  Now that we've come to agreement that
the Google-bits belong in a separate repository, why would we go down
the path that all the bits belong in a separate repository where nobody
else can usefully interact with them?

Given some of the code review comments I left in the
phosphor-health-monitor proposal, I'm not sure we've really come to a
consensus on how metrics like this should be handled architecturally.
If you continue doing the Google-specific parts, I think it is going to
be difficult to unravel the design into something that can be globally
applicable.

--
Patrick Williams