about pid speed control

Drew Macrae drewmacrae at google.com
Thu Nov 12 12:20:39 AEDT 2020

Hi,

I'm bad at feedback control math, but we've seen issues like this that
can't be addressed by tuning alone, so I thought I'd weigh in.

We've observed some noise in the RPM readings on some platforms, which can
create oscillations in the RPM control loop. Our thermal engineers end up
simplifying things by using only feedforward coefficients to control RPM,
and then use the feedback control for temperatures. This simplifies it to a
single feedback loop which should also make tuning generally easier and
avoid these sorts of problems with hunting/limit cycles/instability.
So for the speed loop you only need to tune:
                        "feedFwdOffsetCoeff": 0.0,
                        "feedFwdGainCoeff": 1.0,
until RPM is correct at failsafe and minimum RPMs. This isn't particularly
robust, but we don't really need it to be. Robust control of temperature is
our priority.

Then you can tune thermal performance with the thermal loop:
                        "proportionalCoeff": 0.1,
                        "integralCoeff": 1.0,

Many of the other parameters aren't linear but are useful to
address/prevent integral windup and over-torque/over-current conditions.