Secure boot/signed images and GPL code

Lee Fisher lee at preossec.com
Wed Nov 4 08:21:53 AEDT 2020

> Does secure boot on the BMC (I think for my question it doesn't matter
> where the hardware root of trust is - it could be on the BMC or an
external
> chip) or signed images deprive users of rights associated with code in
> OpenBMC that is GPL licensed? [...]

In this thread I don't see any reference to OpenBMC use of the existing
Shim[1] -- the current Linux UEFI Secure Boot solution to address these
legal issues. It seems that if the Shim can't work for OpenBMC case,
then OpenBMC could create a similar Shim-like widget. FYI, there's a
Shim mailing list.

[1] https://github.com/rhboot/shim