Proposal for the connected redfish client info

James Feist james.feist at linux.intel.com
Wed Mar 18 02:58:19 AEDT 2020

On 3/17/2020 6:01 AM, Ratan Gupta wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> Looking for your inputs
>
> James, How about option1 for the below use case

Before creating OEM we are to propose it to the Redfish community. Have
you asked them for their thoughts?

> Ratan
>
> On 3/11/20 3:48 PM, Ratan Gupta wrote:
>>
>> Hi Team,
>>
>> In IBM we have a following requirement
>>
>>   * Show the connected redfish client info.
>>       o   ClientIP >>       o   Client Unique Identifier(unique serial number of the
client etc)

This confuses me, how are you getting the serial number for a connected
client? If so, have you looked into data protection laws and storing
Personally Identifiable Information?

>> Presently there is no way through which we can get this info.
>>
>> I have following two proposal for the above requirement.
>>
>> 1/ (Extend the session schema)
>>
>> Add the IPaddress and the client Identifier as a OEM in the session
>> schema,
>> Clinet IP would be read only and will be updated once the redfish
>> client creates the session.
>> ClientIdentifier(Management console unique serial number etc) will be
>> writable property and can be set by the redfish client
>> during creation of the session or after creating the session.
>>

>> 2/ (Create the Manager object at runtime)
>> once the redfish client creates the session , bmcweb internally does
>> the following
>>
>> - Create the manager object whose type is "Management Controller".
>>
>> - Create the ethernet interface resource manager resource and update
>> the client IP.
>>
>>    In the second option how to set the Client unique identifier which
>> is to be given by the Redfish client

I've had talks before about creating a new systems schema for the BMC
specifically, so that you could expose things like bmc memory, etc.
Systems also has the Ethernet schema. However this depends on what
you're trying to present.