Adding a detailed physical model to bmcweb

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Thu Mar 12 02:45:49 AEDT 2020

at 5:22 PM, Richard Hanley <rhanley at google.com> wrote:

> One of the requirements we have for our data center management software
> is that we need to be able to map resources (e.g. actions, telemetry, and
> assemblies) directly to the physical component that it originated from as
> well as how those components are physically connected.
>
> Historically this mapping was done through a custom protocol on the host,
> and we would like to move this to a Redfish service on the BMC.

Hi Richard.  We (IBM) also have a need for the same detailed mapping
information but from other services on the BMC.

> Let's just say for the moment that we get a service that collects this
> information

Right, so where we have shared interest I think is how this service works
and exports its information to _any_ BMC service (not just bmcweb -
exporting the mapping information via external interfaces is less of a
priority over here).  Can you say any more about this service?

thanks!

-brad