Redfish EventService Implementation

Ratan Gupta ratagupt at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jun 23 17:27:12 AEST 2020

On 6/19/20 6:56 PM, Ratan Gupta wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> I was trying not to bring the Redfish specific stuff in each individual
>>> repo, instead each transport can listen for
>>> Dbus events and write to the journal which goes to their app specific file.
>> Good.  This wasn't clear from the earlier email.  Thanks.
>>

>>> As we are in agreement that we want to use the journal for persistence
>>> and log rotate feature.
>> I'm not convinced there is agreement on this.  There has been
>> disagreement about even using the journal for phosphor-logging use since
>> the beginning and I suspect there would be less agreement on another
>> application using it as its own IPC mechanism.
>>
>> Just because a hammer can be used to insert a nail into a board doesn't
>> mean you use it insert any pointy thing into a flat thing.  [ Just
>> because the journal provides log rotation and persistance doesn't mean
>> you should use it for every feature needing log rotation and
>> persistance. ]
>>

>>> ***** As per the Redfish one of the requirement is we need the log for
>>> most of the Dbus Property update/interface added as they
>>> are mapped to some Redfish Resource and the bmcweb has to send the
>>> Resource updated/modified signal to the
>>> Redfish client. ******
>
> Jaosn: You asked the following query in other thread /*"Why do we want
> to log on D-Bus property updates?  This seems like it will be too
> noisy for the EventLog*"/
>
> Eg: Client is interested for an event when ever there is any user
> add/delete or network configuration change or there is a log entry
> resource gets created,To handle this request the flow would be
>
> Redfish Client subscribe for "ResourceType" eg:
> "EthernetService,AccountService,LogService"  with subordinate
> resources property as truewhich means the Client is looking for
> updates on the subscribed resources and the subordinates resource,
> These redfish resources(EthernetInterface, IP address, ManagerAccount,
> AccountService) would be mapped to some D-bus Resources, hence some
> application/bmcweb  would monitor the Dbus signals on the interested
> Dbus objects and send the Redfish event to the subscribed client.
>
> Apparo: Please correct me if I am missing something.
>
>> I don't know Redfish well, so bear with me if there is something obvious
>> I'm missing.  But, the first part of this "requirement" doesn't seem to
>> follow from the second part of the "requirement" to me.
>>
>> Sending a signal of a property changing to the Redfish clients is
>> straight-forwawrd; Redfish should subscribe to all the appropriate
>> dbus-events.  I don't understand how this implies any sort of logging.
>> Where does the logging part of this requirement come from?
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/24749/16/designs/redfish-eventservice.md#474
>
> While I am reading the redfish
> spec(https://www.dmtf.org/sites/default/files/standards/documents/DSP0266_1.11.0.pdf)
> , it is not clear that the events need to be persisted.I will ask in
> the DMTF for the persistence of the events.
I have got an update from the DMTF that persistence is not required to
be implemented for the
events(https://redfish.dmtf.org/schemas/v1/Event.v1_5_0.json),
which implies we don't need to log the events in Journal.

More info(https://github.com/DMTF/Redfish/issues/3646)

Now updating the proposal where redfish client subscribed for Resource
Type based events
1) Client would subscribe for the Redfish Resource(eg:ManagerAccount) to
receive events like Account add/delete/modify
      Hence need for mapping from (RedfishResource to Dbus Resource)

2) Have the mapping info from Redfish resources to DBUS Resources (Some
JSon file may have this mapping)

2) Have the reverse mapping from DBUS Resources to Redfish Resources
      * This is needed to send the Redfish event if there is any changes
in the corresponding D-bus resources.
        eg BMC state change/network change etc.

3) bmcweb would monitor the DBUS events

4) Get the Redfish Path from the Mapping(2) and send the Redfish event

5) Bmcweb would buffer N number of events that can be configurable by
redfish client. Buffer would get cleaned up in case of bmcweb restart or
BMC reset.

James, Apparao: Please let me know if there is any more concern with
this approach.