Default branch naming in GitHub repositories

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Tue Jun 23 07:27:02 AEST 2020

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 07:36:04PM +0000, Derick Montague wrote:
> There is also an initiative to change the default branch naming in
> Github. Github is in the process of making changes for new repositories,
> and I would like to suggest that we start discussions about our default
> branch naming. One suggestion that has some traction is replacing master
> with main.

The default name within Github doesn't really matter.  This is only the
place that it draws the default landing page and statistics from and is
already trivial to change.

> I'd like to discuss an overall strategy and the impact it would have on
> our build scripts before I ask to make this change in the webui-vue repository.

My personal opinion is we should follow whatever upstream git does.  The
default branch name has fairly broad reaching impacts to git usability
and Yocto recipes.  If git decides to change the default branch name,
that project is going to plow through many of the implications of that
decision before it gets to us and Yocto will likely similarly start the
transition ahead of us.  If we decide to proactively change the name to
something else, we have to deal with all of that impact ourselves.

--
Patrick Williams