Message registries continuation

James Feist james.feist at linux.intel.com
Tue Jun 23 07:16:35 AEST 2020

On 6/22/2020 1:46 PM, Matt Spinler wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> Something I forgot below - when building up our event logs, I have about
> a dozen fields (mostly OEM)
> that I have to get from the OpenBMC event log's corresponding PEL (IBM's
> enterprise log format).
>
> PELs aren't on D-Bus for a few reasons, such as they can be several KB
> in size and consist of several
> dozen discrete fields, so that rules out bmcweb getting them that way.

Would doing something like having the fields in the journal with a link
to a file work? See this design for more info:
https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/architecture/redfish-logging-in-bmcweb.md

> I do have a shared library that has the PEL APIs I need (PELs themselves
> are in files). Is it OK if I
> just link in that library as needed when a USE_PELs or whatever option
> is set?
> Alternatively, I could also dlopen it I suppose.

There's another thread over here
https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2020-June/022082.html
happening right now discussing types of logging. As we already have 2
forms of logging supported, I'm a little hesitant to the idea of a third
without at least some formal direction of what we want logging to look
like as a project. More so as we add advanced features on top of
logging, it makes it more difficult to support different methods.