Regarding 19" server recommendations with OpenBMC support

Maruthi Inukonda maruthi.inukonda at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 19:30:59 AEST 2020

hello Team,

I am Maruthi, doing applied-research in bare-metal cloud and built a
bare-metal cloud with many servers (having proprietary BMC) from 10
different OEMs in our campus all with open-source. I see many pain points
of deploying/operating a bare-metal with opaque BMC firmware. I found
OpenBMC is the way to go for bare-metal clouds for more visibility and
agility. In parallel to my research, I would like to contribute to OpenBMC
upstream.

We want to procure production grade 19" rack servers that support OpenBMC.
Looking for both amd64/x8_64 and OpenPower based servers. We are looking
for a server whose motherboard has replaceable SPI flash. Any
recommendations please?

We procured portwell neptune dev kit for basic testing of small code
changes. But looking for production servers as well.

thanks,
Maruthi.
IIT Hyderabad, India
--