p2a control driver

Patrick Venture venture at google.com
Wed Jun 17 03:11:59 AEST 2020

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 10:47 AM Montag, Gil <gil.montag at intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> First. Thanks for the help!
>
> 1. If I'm getting it right, it's ok that I see the ASPEED PCI-PCI bridge regardless of the configuration and I am not expected to see the PCI-AHB on lspci, one as it's not a "real" PCI bridge.
Correct.

> 2, Can you please specify which items shall I enable in the kernel config and in the dts for the aspeed-p2a-ctrl driver to be loaded properly and functional?

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/arch/arm/boot/dts/aspeed-bmc-quanta-q71l.dts#L115

You'll need to set aside a memory region.  The quanta-q71l has the VGA
enabled on its ast2400, but it's not configured for use, so we just
snagged that memory.  If you're using an ast2500, there is often
memory set aside for the lpc mmio region, you should be able to
leverage that.

> 3. Do you have some usage example for the code you referenced below (bmc firmware updater?)

The openbmc project has some users of this - I keep adding their
mailing list onto these emails for visibility.  I'm not sure what you
mean by examples, but, here's an example openbmc configuration for use
with phosphor-ipmi-flash:

meta-quanta-q71l/recipes-phosphor/ipmi/phosphor-ipmi-flash_%.bbappend

PACKAGECONFIG_append_quanta-q71l = " aspeed-p2a"
IPMI_FLASH_BMC_ADDRESS_quanta-q71l = "0x47FF0000"

The address specified corresponds with the device-tree entry.