OpenBMC Learning Series

Sai Dasari sdasari at fb.com
Thu Jun 4 04:10:19 AEST 2020

Team,

Our OpenBMC community continues to grow at rapid pace as can be observed by various metrics like number of CCLAs, industry adoption rate, design/code contributions, numerous technical conversations over Mailing List/IRC/Gerritt, and more. Because of this rapid growth the project might appear to be a bit complex for a new contributor evaluating our stack. I believe there are multiple ongoing efforts of reducing this barrier for a potential contributor to ramp them up quickly on this stack that includes documentation, wiki pages, tutorials in our github repo.

In addition to these ongoing efforts, I propose to start a video based learning series that aims to introduce OpenBMC stack for a potential contributor.  I hope such video series will help disseminate tribal knowledge that we built in this community over a period of time and ramp up the new contributors quickly. To make this series useful, I seek volunteer speakers who are interesting in sharing their expertise and help plan this series to be more effective. For those of you who are interested, please add yourself as speaker with title/description before 6/17 @ https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RRO5cgutKE7zRPcjcFjrNn-GI5AYoW0FivEZJe_EyWs/edit?usp=sharing

Some topics for consideration include OpenBMC project overview, Software stack architecture, community developer guidelines, Repo structure and guidelines, Usage of Yocto in OpenBMC,  Usage of D-Bus in OpenBMC, C++ coding standards in OpenBMC,  IPMI sub-system, Redfish sub-system, Using QEMU effectively, Sensor sub-system, Best practices in debugging, Logging, metrics/telemetry etc. And this is not an exhaustive list and feel free to add any topic that you plan to share with community.

I will reach out to volunteer speakers and facilitate logistics and update the ML with next steps. Please let me know for any info regarding this effort.

Thanks,
Sai.