OpenBMC : FRU Inventory management

Vasant Patil vasantp at nvidia.com
Fri Jul 31 00:11:54 AEST 2020

Thanks Ed! Reply inline.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Tanous <ed at tanous.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 12:50 AM
To: Vasant Patil <vasantp at nvidia.com>
Cc: openbmc at lists.ozlabs.org
Subject: Re: OpenBMC : FRU Inventory management

External email: Use caution opening links or attachments

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 8:14 PM Vasant Patil <vasantp at nvidia.com> wrote:

> We are enabling OpenBMC on x86 system. We would like to know the recommendation on FRU inventory management and corresponding pointers.
>
> There seems to be multiple options available
>
> described in  “Adding new system to OpenBMC” with  Yaml files
> (meta-romulus/recipes-phosphor/ipmi)
> Entity manager  with JSON schema
>
> We are looking to enable below inventory (Both FRU and non-FRU):
>
> CPU
> DIMM
> M.2
> U.2
> Motherboard FRU EEPROM
> Chassis FRU EEPROM
> Add-on PCI cards
> FANs
> PSU
> Etc.

I'm chuckling to myself a little bit here;  When we originally designed entity manager, "GPU that comes in a green box" was definitely one of the first example entity config files that we wrote up to make sure the configs were expressive enough.  In short, welcome!  Glad to have you here.

Thanks. Yes, Individual GPU and GPU Baseboard (e.g. HGX A100 )  are FRU as well. Sorry I should have listed them.

If the above is your requirements list, presumably you need runtime configurability for the things plugged into the slots and ports.
Given that constraint, entity manager (+ dbus-sensors and
phosphor-pid-control) is probably the way to go, and is the way most newer platforms seem to be trending.  Based on your requirements, I'm going to guess you're building a platform that looks a lot like a Wolf Pass.  I'd probably start with those config files, as it has all of the features you list above, as well as backplanes, which you didn't explicitly list, and should give you a good starting point to begin your development.

Yes. Thanks for wolf pass pointer (https://github.com/Intel-BMC/openbmc/tree/intel/meta-openbmc-mods/meta-ast2500/recipes-phosphor/configuration/entity-manager). After looking at the same, it is close to the same plus GPU. we do have the backplane FRU EEPROM ( we called it as Midplane 😊).