Discrete sensors for host error monitor signals

Patrick Voelker Patrick_Voelker at phoenix.com
Wed Jul 15 04:03:58 AEST 2020

Hi, I'd like to log IPMI SEL events for changes in the signals monitored by OpenBMC/host-error-monitor.  I don't have much experience with OpenBMC's sensors yet so I'm not sure what the best approach is and am looking for some guidance.

I haven't found a good example yet of a IPMI discrete sensor and I don't want to put IPMI specific information into host-error-monitor to directly add SEL events via phosphor-sel-logger.

Here's my understanding thus far :

* A module needs to instantiate dbus sensors representing the signals being monitored.  This could be done in host-error-monitor or duplicate some of the functionality in dbus-sensors.  Is there a benefit to extending one over the other?

* One or more IPMI SDRs should be created for the IPMI sensors needed to group all the necessary discrete offsets.  If I'm using entity-manager in my build, is that where I would define this sensor?  If not, is there some other way to accomplish this?

* phosphor-sel-logger then needs to monitor (match) dbus discrete sensor property changes to create appropriate IPMI and redfish logs for the events as they occur.

Does that sound about right? Thanks in advance for your help.