Weird build dependency issue causing missing symbols

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Fri Jul 3 07:33:28 AEST 2020

On Thu, Jul 02, 2020 at 12:58:43PM -0700, Bills, Jason M wrote:
> We have narrowed this down to being caused by two separate issues:
> 1. When phosphor-dbus-interfaces is rebuilt it will sometimes change the
> order of the PropertiesVariant in server.hpp.

This sounds like a bug in sdbus++.  We should be sorting the variant
parameters or issuing them in array order.  I'll look into it.

> 2. When the order of PropertiesVariant changes on a rebuild, the recipes
> that already have an old copy of server.hpp are not triggered to rebuild
> and are left with the old copy of server.hpp.

This isn't surprising if what is triggering the rebuild is not a Yocto
variable change (or git revision).  Yocto doesn't cache the contents of
the packages, but caches the variables that went into a build step.  A
hash of the variables are used to look up the potential 'sstate-cache'
files so that it can skip build steps.

If you think a variable or a git-revision should have changed with what
you were doing, then maybe it is something else.

--
Patrick Williams