power button override

Vijay Khemka vijaykhemka at fb.com
Fri Jan 31 05:53:18 AEDT 2020

And it is inconsistent as 2 times works out of 5 time loop with 30 second delay.

Regards
-Vijay

On 1/30/20, 10:49 AM, "Vijay Khemka" <vijaykhemka at fb.com> wrote:

    Hi Jason,
    The problem I am seeing as I am unable to send reset ipmi command to ME via IPMB on i2c bus. I tried to give 30 second delay after power off and setting in ME recovery mode. Once I do force poweroff then only I am able to send any command to ME. I don't know what is the relation of power to ME access on i2c bus.

    Regards
    -Vijay

    On 1/28/20, 12:50 PM, "Bills, Jason M" <jason.m.bills at linux.intel.com> wrote:

        On 1/27/2020 12:31 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:

        > On 1/27/20, 10:52 AM, "Bills, Jason M" <jason.m.bills at linux.intel.com> wrote:
        >

        >      On 1/24/2020 2:01 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:
        >      >
        >      >
        >      > On 1/24/20, 1:13 PM, "openbmc on behalf of Bills, Jason M" <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com at lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of jason.m.bills at linux.intel.com> wrote:
        >      >
        >      >
        >      >
        >      >      On 1/24/2020 12:55 PM, Bills, Jason M wrote:
        >      >      >
        >      >      >
        >      >      > On 1/24/2020 10:29 AM, Vijay Khemka wrote:
        >      >      >>
        >      >      >>
        >      >      >> On 1/23/20, 4:36 PM, "Bills, Jason M" <jason.m.bills at linux.intel.com>
        >      >      >> wrote:
        >      >      >>
        >      >      >>      On 1/23/2020 4:13 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:
        >      >      >>      > Hi Jason,
        >      >      >>      >
        >      >      >>      > We have a requirement of power button override. I don’t see
        >      >      >> x86-power
        >      >      >>      > control doesn’t support this currently. Do you need this
        >      >      >> features or do
        >      >      >>      > you have any local patch for this.
        >      >      >>      Hi Vijay,
        >      >      >>      power button override is used for the "Force Off" actions in
        >      >      >> power control:
        >      >      >>
        >      >      >> https://github.com/openbmc/x86-power-control/blob/master/power-control-x86/src/power_control.cpp#L50.
        >      >      >>
        >      >      >>
        >      >      >> This will not work if current status is off. This should just send
        >      >      >> pulse in any status on/off.
        >      >      > Correct.  Force Off is not done if the current status is off.
        >      >      Do you have more details on the power button override behavior that you
        >      >      need?
        >      >
        >      > Yes, This is required to bring ME back to operation mode from recovery. How are you handling ME for Bios upgrade.
        >      When in recovery mode, the ME will accept a reset command (IPMI raw 0x6
        >      0x2) to reset to operational mode.
        >
        > Bill, I tried this and see inconsistent behavior from host. Sometime it refuse to power on. So PBO resolves this.
        I checked with the ME team and ME reset to move from recovery mode to
        operational mode should work.  You can file a ticket with Intel support
        to help resolve the inconsistent behavior that you see when doing this.

        In the meantime, I will look over your patch.

        Thanks,
        -Jason