Event Service - support for multiple protocols

Justin Thaler thalerj at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jan 14 03:11:16 AEDT 2020

Hey Piotr,

On 1/10/20 3:49 AM, Matuszczak, Piotr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering whether to make it part of design review, but I would like to discuss my thoughts/questions here.
> My focus is mainly on telemetry and crashlog parts, not the events. As for telemetry, we would like to be able to support not only the native Redfish metric report and protocols defined by the DMTF. We do not want to define new Redfish schema for the subscription, but rather reuse EventDestination schema. Is it possible to extend the proposed architecture of Event Service to support Kafka or MQTT telemetry streaming instead only Redfish Metric Report via the SSE or push-style events? I was thinking to use 'Protocol' property in the EventDestiation schema to define the protocol used (like Kafka or MQTT). Did you think about it?

I'm rather interested in this as we have a few of our clients who have
said the same thing. The support for message brokers also came up during
the HPC conference in the summer, and I believe, holds a lot of merit.

In regards to telemetry streaming, I think being able to update the
subscription dynamically without tearing it down, would also be
beneficial, as more investments in reactive software are being made.

> Piotr Matuszczak
> Intel Technology Poland sp. z o.o.
> ul. Slowackiego 173, 80-298 Gdansk
> KRS 101882