System Firmware states on D-Bus

Andrew Geissler geissonator at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 06:10:14 AEDT 2020

> On Feb 25, 2020, at 10:04 AM, Patrick Williams <patrick at stwcx.xyz> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 07:47:42PM +0530, Thomaiyar, Richard Marian wrote:
>> Prefer D-Bus conveying details in finer / better manner, rather than tying
>> it towards any user facing application like Redfish / IPMI.
>
> I agree with this.
>
> Define internal D-Bus information with the most we have available and
> let external interfaces map this to their constrained subset as
> necessary.  There is no reason to limit our own abilities because of the
> management interface du-jour.

Yep, no arguments from me here. The PLDM sensor(or whatever
the right term for it is) will support all defined values sent to it
by the system firmware.

bmcweb will translate what it can when responding to a Redfish
API query for the host state.

I’m thinking I’ll have phosphor-state-manager translate whatever
it can into the OperatingSystemState and BootProgress D-Bus
properties.