Redfish EventService Implementation

Puli, Apparao apparao.puli at linux.intel.com
Wed Feb 26 01:06:40 AEDT 2020

Hi Ratan,

    Comments in-line

On 2/24/2020 12:07 PM, Ratan Gupta wrote:

> Hi Apparao,
>
> On 2/20/20 12:49 AM, Puli, Apparao wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>   I am sorry for late response as this mail is buried under and got
>> struck back of my mind.
>>
>> As i did mentioned in EventService design document, EventLog Monitor
>> service is not common across the organizations( Example: Intel uses
>> the redfish event logs file and inotify mechanism for monitoring the
>> event logs. Where as IBM uses d-bus event log mechanism and they can
>> relay on match rules). That said challenges with ResourceType mapping
>> will be different in both monitoring mechanisms. This is good point.
>> Initially when i started EventService design, i thought we can have
>> mapping in bmcweb for ResourceTypes with set of MessageID's for
>> Logged events ( As per Intel design) but not sure that may become
>> difficult when we expand supported ResourceTypes.
>
> If I am getting correctly, Here is the flow which Intel uses.
>
>  1. Individual repo have to push the logs using sd_journal_send which
>     will write to the file(/var/log/redfish) by using rsyslog daemon
>
> sd_journal_send("MESSAGE=%s","journal text","PRIORITY=%i", <LOG_LEVEL>,
>                  "REDFISH_MESSAGE_ID=%s",
>                  "ResourceEvent.1.0.ResourceCreated",NULL);
>
>       * How you would populate the "OriginOfCondition" during sending
>         of event? (https://redfish.dmtf.org/schemas/v1/Event.v1_4_1.json)

Currently in logServices( logEntry),  we are not reporting the
"OriginOfCondition" property as per schema. I will check with Jason( Who
wrote the logService) and get back on this.

BTW can you give me how this information is fetched in IBM way of
LogService implementation( D-Bus)? If you already ratified any such, i
think we can leverage.  If not, We work together for solution.

>       * Any plan to add resource path in this journal message which
>         tells that this is the path for which resource created event
>         generated.

Same as above.

>       * Would the path be "Redfish Path/ D-bus Path"?

As per Redfish specification, This should be "@odata.id" which means it
should be of resource uri and so we can't use d-bus path here for
OriginOfConditions.

>       * Where the mapping would be done between D-busPath/Redfish
>         Resource path?
>

>           Cons: Every application have to make the change(use sd_journal_send).
>           My thought is backend application should not be aware of the redfish terminlogy.

Having separate process only for this mapping may not be good( No
different from maintaining that map inside bmcweb as there won't be any
other consumers). Ideal way is, that should be mapped while logging
logEntry's itself. But we are not doing it currently which need to be
re-looked. Give me some time, I will think and check with other folks
and get back.

> *2.* Some application(bmcweb) would do the Inotify on the
> path(/var/log/redfish) and send the event once there is any activity
> on this file.
>
> > I thought we can have mapping in bmcweb for ResourceTypes with set of MessageID's for Logged events ( As
> per Intel design)
>
>      Can you explain more here. What is your plan? How you would do the Resource Type based event filtering?REDFISH_MESSAGE_ID is different than the resource type.
Initially i thought "ResourceType" based event filtering can be done
using minimal mapping( Using MessageID and args). But that will work for
minimal set. If the supported ResourceTypes grows, we will have bigger
challenges which i can sense it now.  Anyway, Supported Resources are
completely implementation specific. If this value is empty means, by
default all event logs will be sent to subscribers. This is what we can
start with before supported  ResourceTypes list grows.